I was part of the two-person team in charge of renovating the SISu website, a genomic search engine maintained by the Finnish Institute for Molecular Medicine (FIMM). The project spanned the entire summer of 2016 (approx. 3 months). We began the project by delving deep into the subject matter: who uses SISu? What for? What kind of problems do the users have? For this, we conducted user interviews and did an online survey. Based on these findings, we redesigned the interface as well as the graphic design of the website.
Besides planning the new design, we also implemented it mostly by ourselves. The site is divided into two parts: the main site (Drupal) and the genomic variant search engine (Scala Play & AngularJS). We did not use the existing Drupal installation, but made our own theme from ground up. The search engine is based on the previous implementation. Some changes to the back-end had to be made, for which we created requirements for the IT sector to implement. We then used this data for a D3.js data visualization, as well as the revamping of the whole visual look.